Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Very Angry Young Men...



i had a car ride today with a friend... She accidentally loudly tooted a car thinking it was going to pull out in front of her... The car (not in the wrong, we just had not seen their blinker) slowed suddenly right down waiting for us to pull aside them... i said omigod they are hoons, don't pull beside them... The driver (my friend) said ridiculous wind-down your window and i will simply explain... i said but they are HOONS!!! (i had a really bad feeling) Just stay behind them (Seeing in my minds eye our names splashed across the next days papers!) ... My friend thought me mad and pulled up beside saying let's just apologize (We were afteral in the wrong)... As i wound down my window the two men started an abusive tirade so with no hesitation i overrode my friends excuses very loudly with a frantic SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! They finished their tirade loudly trying to override my apology, but luckily for us (i thought) then abruptly sped off... Perhaps surprised and not expecting to see two women in the big butch car we were in (with tinted windows)?... My friend thought me cowardly, but as i have had experience working in pubs (years ago) with some tough types at times, born were my instincts to always to go for the path of least resistance and placate... As in my experience there is usually no point trying to talk sense to very angry young men, when they are being very angry young men!...

So considering the unexpected abruptness of the moment (for it was but a few moments) do YOU think me a coward (as my friend did) or a sensible sista?

X:-/

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you done good sista. Glad you are safe!
LoVe!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Well, you must have scared them and they felt you were out of line, so an apology was in order.
Sometimes what appears cowardly is actually wise.

It also demonstrates the difference in the values of you and your friend. While she values justifying herself, you value life and limb ... or so it appears from where I sit. :)

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

You just never know what to expect anymore. My wife has pumped the horn or yelled at people before and I have been left in a position where big burly men get out of their cars and give me the evil eye.
I've told her time and again, "One day you are going to piss someone off and they are going to come over and hammer me!"
I think apologies are generally a good thing in those types of situations.
Now please tell me what a HOON is?

Zom said...

You were smart and intuitive, not cowardly. (love the image).

My post was about when we want to protect an image of ourselves, whether to ourselves or another person, not life and limb.

Some energies are best avoided not confronted.

i happen to know that the Nollyposh is very brave.
xox

nollyposh said...

Thanks guys \
(Ps) SHST, a Hoon is BAD news! (A very angry young man behind a wheel!)

Anonymous said...

Definately a sensible sista! I have been road raged before, and was terrified for my life. I wished I had a gun, that is how scared I was. We my "terrorist" finally sped away, I pulled over and cried my eyes out. I couldnt stop shaking.
I spoke to my son about it later, he is a policeman, and asked him how I go about getting a gun. He very sensibly told me I cant carry a gun around with me to frighten or shoot people. He told me to get their plate number and report it to the police. They will go and talk to the driver, record it, for future reference. I still wish I could have a gun.

Annie said...

I am with you, why ask for trouble?
xoxo

nollyposh said...

Thanks for dropping by and making me feel better X:-)