
Day before yesterday
i decided to ~smudge~
hadn't done it for a while and the air in my home was feeling
heavy and stale...
mainly due to a stubborn flu bug that has had my son out of school for a week
and has been nagging at the corners of my immune system too (Bah humbug!)
so i went to my trusty little 'potions box'
(the 'meat safe' section of one of my olde dressers)
and pulled out a lavender smudge stick
(handmade by me when our lavender bush had it's annual prune)
from amongst the essential oil bottles and herbs that i have there

i discovered smudging
along with a growing spiritual awareness
after the death of my Beloved Dad
having always been partial to a little incense burning
i never really understood why it made me feel more ~peaceful~ somehow
later i came to understand that it helped to shift or clear stale energies
both in my surroundings and my energy system (or Aura)
So with this in mind i lit my little bundle
over a glass plate (to catch any wandering embers)
i opened the doors to a sunny winters day
and as the flame died on the bundle
the 'smoking' began...
i then closed my eyes for a moment
for a silent prayer
for the dark to be lifted
and light to fill the empty spaces...

Then slowly and quietly
i moved from room to room
(ALL rooms for staleness will sit in dark corners)
and allowed the gentle smoke to drift
and swirl...
Later that day, my teenage daughter arrived home
and smiling at me questioned what i had done?
Shifted some furniture? or scrubbed some walls?
For something felt, different or cleaner, somehow?
...she said
And that is what smudging does
whether you consciously ~Believe~ or not
there is an ancient 'something' at play
a something that connects us to the 'ye olde ways'
a something a little spiritual, a something a little practical
a something a little *magical*
i think am predisposed to this kind of ancient ceremony
because it is simple and without elaborate ritual
i think it is the simplicity and practicality
that sits most comfortably with me
and because there is a connection
to the Ancient ways ...and me


*Smudging hints
x
10 comments:
I believe!
Hope that your son is feeling better :)
xoxoxo
I believe too. Smudging is a everyday thing in my church.
Blessings
QMM
Thanks for explaining that ... I never knew much about it.
I think I'll do the same. In packing for moving..I found a smudge I made out of some sage I was growing long time ago. I've never tried it though.
Thanks for the "smudge tutorial"!! You're fabulous!!
Peace & Love.
In Eastern Orthodoxy, an ancient religion, and the first Christian religion, the priest comes to bless the house.
A specially made 'incense' is wafted the house, even bathrooms and garages...One can have their house blessed every year before Easter, but it is especially important to bless a new home.
The prayer chant is a continuous one, with Fr. blessing, and someone carrying a lit candle. There may also be one who goes ahead to lead the priest into each area of the home.
Very interesting. I can't remember what is in the incense, but I do know that Rescue Remedy, a natural flower essence(Nelson Bach Flower Essences) has a similar smell, as in our blessed wine.
I just got this feeling that maybe your Dad was with you when you smudged.
I hope you and your son are feeling better soon.
Love Renee xoxoxo
Smudging sounded like a wonderful idea and I even have dried herbs and a pot I could use. The problem? Do not do this around allergic people. I don't like my herb allergy. :( I would guess your house was very fresh after. Maybe I could take a Reactin and try it anyway.
Rituals are very cool. I am related to North American indigenous people and my sister-in-law, Verla could come and do this for me. She may even have some aboriginal sweet grass. :)
Thanks for explaining this - sounds wonderful and I believe my home could use a smudging. Is there any rules as to which herb you use? How tightly you bind the herbs? I have all kinds of herbs in my garden, wondering if I could use an array of them?? hummm, will look further into this!
Okay, just found your smudging links - lol! Printed it up - thanks!
Hey QMM Cool church! X:-)
Audrey & Daria <3 <3
Go for it Connie girl for a nice fresh start to your nice fresh start! X:-)
Lydia, i love that X:-)
Thanks Renee *Kiss*
Hey Linda could you do it outside like the Aboriginals do without side effects? (Although they call it a 'smoking ceremony' i think) xox
Jules X:-)
Post a Comment