
I have just been a wandering around and a reading of some other people's 'stuff' on other blogs... and it made me think of a letter l wrote once, to a person l hadn't met yet... Thought l might share it with you today...SIMPLE PLAN LYRICS
"Untitled"
I open my eyes
I try to see but I’m blinded by the white light
I can’t remember how
I can’t remember why
I’m lying here tonight
And I can’t stand the pain
And I can’t make it go away
No I can’t stand the pain
How could this happen to me
I made my mistakes
I’ve got no where to run
The night goes on
As I’m fading away
I’m sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me
Everybody’s screaming
I try to make a sound but no one hears me
I’m slipping off the edge
I’m hanging by a thread
I wanna start this over again
So I try to hold onto a time when nothing mattered
And I can’t explain what happened
And I can’t erase the things that I’ve done
No I can’t
How could this happen to me
I made my mistakes
I’ve got no where to run
The night goes on
As I’m fading away
I’m sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me
I made my mistakes
I’ve got no where to run
The night goes on
As I’m fading away
I’m sick of this life
I just wanna scream
How could this happen to me
... As l looked at these words they helped me to understand the pain that she was feeling because she couldn't communicate them herself... I realized that she was hearing a voice in her head that was much louder than mine, that she felt guilty and bad about this and l started to understand that she was in so much emotional pain that she just wanted it all to stop and if it meant dying then so be it...She was tired of fighting the person in the mirror... I started to understand that when she was yelling at me, that she was really yelling at herself...
I felt so helpless watching her try to hide all the exercising until lumps and bruises appeared on her lower spine from all the sit ups, this l came to understand was to shut out the voice in her head... I still made her lunches everyday knowing that she would throw them away, it was to let her know that l hadn't given up... I searched for doctors who would understand and not think that l was just some over-protective parent (As some did) and realize that she had become very uncharacteristically good at lying ...That her personality had changed, that she was rude and nasty and angry and that this wasn't just teenager hormones, that it was like someone had stolen my child! ...Even when she started fainting and was always so cold that her finger tips were blue, she just hid herself under layers and layers of clothes so people couldn't see... They couldn't see the fine downe beginning to cover her body, they couldn't see the concave belly and how her joints were so prominent in her fragile thin limbs... No one could see and my husband just kept saying "Make her eat!" We came to know and understand that it was so much more than this... and l cried as her younger siblings asked me "Where Tamsyn was?" That was the hardest thing about it all for me, that she felt so unloved, by herself, that if l went to cuddle her, it was like l was trying to burn her... She couldn't let me love her anymore and l used to cry myself to sleep too...
I began dragging myself through the long days watching her dragging herself, always punishing herself... Walking to school at such a pace that our neighbors child couldn't keep up with her anymore... Dinner time was hell, in the beginning she separated her food in a ritualistic way, then she stopped eating certain things, until eating itself became a horrible painful process for her and l felt like some nasty torturer making her eat, pleading with her to eat just one more mouthful... You will know what l mean, as we all began to hate mealtimes... She wouldn't let us 'touch' any of her things either, her bed and etc for fear of 'germs' and she became obsessive compulsive about washing her hands, eventually this fell away to not wanting to shower at all...
So what did we do? Well, eventually l found a wonderful GP that took one look at Tamsyn and said to us... "Tamsyn l know that you have an eating disorder because you are afraid for me to weigh you and you are so layered by your clothes that l am unable to see who YOU are" and then she looked at me and said "We have one year"... Now don't be frightened by the 'time sentence" I don't think that that was what was important about the conversation because what this doctor had actually done for me was allowed me to give myself permission to take action, REAL action, within a time frame... I think before then l was just too afraid that anything l did or said might make it all worse...
So l began to seek help, l found a lovely dietitian, a psychologist and eventually l contacted the Bronte Foundation... and l began to trust myself... I realized that Tamsyn was so stressed by her emotions that she couldn't or didn't want to feel her feelings anymore, so every night l ran her a bath (Even though she would sit stiffly upright in it and never lie down) and l put drops of lavender essential oil in it and l would sit with her until the water went cold and began by saying that l knew that her head was saying really weird things to her and that she was too scared to tell me about it... She didn't believe me so l began to tell her about the strange things that used to sit in my mind when l was battling an eating disorder... She looked amazed and laughed for the first time in ages (Centuries!) ...And slowly but surely she began to speak the words that were so scary for her (It reminded me of how Harry Potter gave evil a 'name' to be able to face it... You find wisdom in the weirdest of places) ...I also used to stand her in front of the mirror before she dressed and describe her body to her because l realized that she couldn't 'see' it anymore... I would describe how her body went 'in' where it should naturally softly curve 'out' and described to her how her arms and legs should proportionally look... I did it gently as if l was describing a painting......I did this every night for about an hour, for about a year and l'm not going to sugar coat it, it was damn hard work... I had to devote myself totally to her with no distractions and no interruptions, no phone calls, dinner had to be later, my two younger children had to come second... It was hard, as my husband didn't came home from work until late... I explained as best l could to my littlies that Tamsyn was sick, because l knew in my heart that l had to find a way of reaching through to her somehow and it was the only way l knew... It was heartbreaking... But amazingly she one day starting talking about herself ...and not the voices...
...At mealtimes l started talking less about the 'action' of eating... l started talking about the mechanics of food and describing that the body is like a car and how it needs fuel to function and l started describing (What l learned from 'Googling' and my own experience) the effects mechanically on the body when it doesn't receive proper nourishment and how the body literally melts from the inside. I talked about 'good' fats (She was obsessed about them) and vitamins and how our body uses them and l also talked about exercising and muscles and what 'correct' exercising was and instead of trying to stop her obsessive exercising l taught her how to 'do it properly' and talked to her about how food would support her exercise...
We also made rules: I made a pot of minestrone` (soup) regularly (and kept it in the fridge) and heated it for her each night and the rules were that she stayed at the table until she had a small cup full... That much in a day was the minimum and she had no choice in the matter, to be truthful, that actually got down to mouthfuls... But the minestrone rule stayed and l used to pack it full of every vegetable on the planet (and some bacon bones which l removed) as she became obsessed with becoming a vegetarian (Sound familiar?)... I knew that she threw out lunch, and breakfast was a battle ground too, but the minestrone rule stood (Somehow!?!)
School was wonderful, her home group teacher was amazing, as she quietly worked behind the scenes (unbeknown to Tamsyn) talking to her peers and other teachers about lightening homework loads and the school used every little opportunity possible to address Tamsyn's illness in their subject matter discreetly and eventually Tamsyn took up these opportunities and we watched as she began slowly to let go of being ashamed and began to share some of herself with her school community... ******* you have your daughter, in my experience, in a wonderful school with some very wise and dedicated teachers l am proud to say... But this didn't come easily either, because before 'Tamsyn' could find where she 'should' be, we had to let her take control of her life again... In her mind she was fixed on the idea that l had 'taken' her from her primary school friends (ie) She had lost control of her life and l had 'dumped' her in a horrible school that didn't understand her. She told me l had done this to her and that l had ruined her life. She had a fantasy in her head that all her friends were happily together at the local High School just as in Primary school... And l won't deny that l did feel guilty because she had, finally, after all her years in Primary, kind of finally 'got it all together' in grade 6 (She went to a fabulous Primary school too that did a lot of amazing work with her concerning her allergies-But that's another story) and it was like l MADE her go to *******'s, and 'ruined' everything...but l just wanted what was best for her l kept explaining... What we realized though, was that she needed to learn the undeniable fact that CHANGE is an inevitable and natural FACT of life... So l let her leave *******'s... "You are mad, You are letting her rule you, You are not teaching her that she needs to do what she is told, for her own good!" ...Were just some of the things that some well meaning family and friends said to me... But my heart said that she had to learn for herself and so we took her out of *******'s and enrolled her where 'she' thought she 'should' be, until the end of Year 7...And she found out (as we had hoped she would) that everyone had moved on... And we started talking about the meaning of friendship... She started to realize that she actually had some people around her already that really cared about her, because through all of her illness they had not given up on her and she realized that they were her friends at *******'s... And amazingly she re-enrolled the next year at *******'s... I can't tell you how much faith that was required of her Principal but she is a very kind person as l have come to know and she was willing to do whatever it took to support Tamsyn and l'm happy to report that she has maintained that stance and to her credit Tamsyn has became a wonderful contributor to her school community.
...As so she started 'coming back to us...
...So what is my advice to you? To listen to your heart for only YOU know your daughter as you do and part of this journey is about getting to know each other more... You will find the answers you are looking for in the patterns of her life... She does want to be rescued, she has just lost her way for a time and forgotten who she is and it is your job to help her find her path again...And she will because she has you and you love her...
This is a little letter Tamsyn wrote when she found her way home to us again... and my reply below that...
"I sat down and looked at my life and realised that if I didn’t do something, the bubble would get caught in the wind and drift away until there was nothing left. I decided to put my foot down and take control and to be happy again." ...Tamsyn
10 comments:
WOW....... I am so happy your daughter is now healthy. What a story. I commend you on putting this part of your life public, but I know it will help someone. This was very heart felt- May you and all of your family have much health and happiness.
Wow Vicki! Thanks for sharing that! You are quickly becoming one of my favorite bloggers! Good for you for putting yourself out there. What is the point of going through struggles in life if we don't share and hopefully help someone who may be going through the same thing. I admire your openness.
Dear Vicki,
This is the hardest that I ever cried on your blog. What a beautiful post. I only hope and pray and wish that one day when I have a child that my love can run as deep and strong as yours.
I work in a school of 900 students. I see each and everyone of them. I watch so much of what happens in the school, I listen, I spy on their conversations in class. Adults so much forget that these are real soul's living in little, younger bodies. Many of these souls have been here time and time again. I respect and love each and every one of my students, because I have no knowing if in another life they were my parent, sibling, a true friend. I applaud you, you looked past your daughter's illness and saw it for truly what it was. You understood how deep her pain was rooted--that this went past the physical. That is a rare gift in anyone, especially in parents, whom from my experience teaching, look so often to simply control the situation instead of heal the heart.
One other thing, my blessed, beloved friend. You posted a picture of the Blue Morpho. The Blue Morpho is the national butterfly for my dear Costa Rica. People pay lots of money to go on tours in hope to see one. My first visit to Costa Rica Hansel took me to our property where we plan to build our home one day. There as we stood, a Blue Morpho flew right in front of us and landed on a rock. Both of us couldn't believe it. And all I could say was "I'm finally home." I always associate the Blue Morpho with that feeling of finally coming home. In my humble opinion, you couldn't have chosen a better image.
Peace & Love.
Thanks girls X:-) I do believe if we share it can help... Even the saddest stories can help heal our hEaRtS... and those of others too perhaps... xox
Isn't that lovely Connie... I love that when people leave a comment that it prompts them to tell me a story too... Love yOuRs... You must be a FABULOUS teacher... Those kiddies are lucky kiddies indeedy xox
You are a strong family to get through all those struggles
There is so much pressure for women/girls (and even boys now) to be thin.... I think this is changing somewhat in the media but we have far to go.
Ain't that the truth Robin, Ain't that the truth... The poor boys often just 'check out'... It's just too sad x
Hey, me again! I got your suggestion on my blog. That crazy painting I did that is now in my drawer has serious grooves in it. I don't think the picture really conveys how deep all of those elements are. I used a very Heavy gel medium and layered it on really thick. Then I pressed foam stamp hearts and flowers into it. I think I will just start from scratch on a new girlie!! Thanks for stopping by! Keep up the great posts...I love reading them.
What a wonderful mother you are, and what a special relationship you have with your daughter! Thank you for sharing your life and your wisdom.
Hugs,
nanakin1 (Nancy)
you are one amazing soul my friend~ you and your daughter are blessed~
HUGS~
e
Thanks chickies, I am so blessed, I am so grateful xox
Post a Comment